Friday, February 25, 2011

Eat. @ Sushi Jin


 29/246 Bourke St, Melbourne, 3000 ph : (03) 9639 4683



Another blast from the past for me.  Sushi Jin is the first eatery that served the sushi handrolls popularised by "Sushi Sushi" type eateries, and I have fond memories of dropping by for a healthy and relatively cheap lunch during my uni days (okay, showing my age there!)  @ $1.50 a handroll, I would be full after paying $4.50 for lunch, and that was pretty good for any uni student back then!

Sushi Jin closed when the Target Centre was renovated by has opned up again in the last few years.  Sadly it's just not as good as I used to remember it (is there a new owner?  I couldn't really see around the back!) 


Don't get me wrong, the rolls were okay and there was a good variety, but on my scale for judging sushi rolls, they are more "sushi sushi" than "Kenzan at GPO" quality.
They have also diversified from the previous menu of sushi rolls only, to bento boxes, nigiris, fried stuff and California Rolls.  We had a serve of the Curry Chicken.  It was okay and ordinary and let's leave it at that.

I think I will file this one under "food that are better in our memories than revisited."

Eat.Play.Shop. Recommends : it as an alternative to Sushi Sushi
Give it a miss : and stroll down to Kenzan@GPO for a better version if you have the time

Sushi Jin on Urbanspoon

Seating is in the nearby food court.  Toilets at Target Centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment