Sunday, May 29, 2011

Eat. @ The Maling Room

206 Canterbury Rd (Corner Maling Rd), Canterbury ph : (03) 9836 9889


The businesses on Maling Rd, in the heart of Canterbury, still have that old fashioned charm of local shops with that slight sense of exclusivity due to its location.  The Maling Room sits at the entrance to Maling Rd and is a well known coffee-orientated cafe in the area.


I was given a kids menu, which is always a good sign that they are welcomed. 


My Little One wanted the fairy bread and this was a fairly robust serving that was quickly gobbled down.   Breakfast at home had been cereal so this was an extra treat.


Unfortunately my experience of my meal on the day we visited did not meet the expectations of what I had read about prior to our trip there.  My mocha was very disappointing - it was more like a bitter cappuccino with a generous sprinkle of chocolate powder.  Perhaps they do a better latte, espresso or cappuccino, but for the first time I couldn't finish my coffee.


The Eggs Benedict with Smoked Salmon looked very nice and came with a generous amount of baby spinach (which made me feel healthier!)  Unfortunatelymy actual order was for EB with the bacon rather than the smoked salmon. (The waiter dude seemed distracted and had already come back once to confirm that I didn't order a babycino)  I didn't complain as my Little One had already finished the fairy bread, and having waited 20 minutes for my meal I didn't want to wait any longer for another.  Having said that, the Eggs Benedict was not bad, however I would  have liked  a bit more Hollandaise sauce than was given.


The cafe itself was quite roomy, and there's room for prams.  Beware though, there are a couple of substantial steps leading up to the front door, and then another step into the cafe, and they can be a killer if you're alone with the pram. 


Eat.Play.Shop. Recommends : using the Entertainment Book voucher here as there's 25% off.
Give it a Miss :  hoping that I just happened to have had a bad coffee since they seem very fastidious with their coffee preparation in the articles I've read.....

The Maling Room on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment