Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Eat @ De Clieu

187 Gertrude St, Fitzroy 3065 ph : (03) 9416 4661


De Clieu is yet another one of Mark Dundan's babies, this time situated in trendy Fitzroy.  Having loved Seven Seeds, and also St. Ali back when he was at the helm, I had no qualms about trying out De Clieu as my next foodie destination.


It was packed out when we arrived at 10:30am on a cold and wintry Tuesday morning. (Does no one have to be at work at all??)  Macaron Monster, Bubs in Pram and I squeezed onto one of the tables for 4 as it was the only table available and got straight to ordering.


My mocha, as expected, was very nice.  Less chocolatey than the one at Seven Seeds.


I ordered the Breakfast De Clieu, which was Sliced fresh baguette, Double Smoked Ham, Gruyere, Boiled Egg, Taragon Mustard Butter ($15.5)  A very nice platter, we particularly enjoyed the ham.  The surprise winner though, was the Strawberry Aniseed Jam in the Jam Lady Jams Range from the Yarra Valley.  I usually don't like aniseed, but this worked really well to give the strawberry jam a deeper, more complex flavour.  Let's just say not a single bit of baguette was left behind.....


Apart from the menu items, a cute selection of sweet treats were also available from the counter.


Would we come back again?  I would definitely come back, but probably not with the kids.  It wasn't that they were unfriendly, just, more like barely kid-tolerant.  The seating area was fairly limited and I just kept getting the feeling that we didn't quite belong with the rest of the crowd on the day. (Maybe I was having a very bad hair day?)  The toilet, however, was generously sized and very pram accessible!


Eat.Play.Shop. Says : A great place of coffee and a bite, maybe without the little ones though.  Loved walking along Gertrude St afterwards, especially having a wander through Sylvia Tai's Shop Sui, with lots of cute products like tin robots and bespoke clothing.  Here's a fun T-Shirt that gave me a giggle!


De Clieu on Urbanspoon

Toilets - Yes
Highchairs - No

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to go there, considering I'm such big fans of the other two outlets. I must say that breakfast platter looks amazingly similar to the one at Chez Dre!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same thought!!! I was at Chez Dre last week (haven't blogged yet, too many photos!) and saw someone having it!

    Have been to all 3 now, I think my favourite is still Seven Seeds :) I did see Mark Dundon at De Clieu though, the first time since I last saw him at St Ali!

    ReplyDelete