Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Eat. @ Pope Joan

77-79 Nicholson Street, Brunswick East, 3057 ph : (03) 9388 8858


This fantastic cafe with the cheeky name (I'm a history trivia buff remember?) epitomises everything I would want in my local cafe - great food, awesome coffee, friendly staff, and a kid-friendly vibe.


Brekkie with Macaron Monster and Bubs in Pram today.  The staff here are some of the friendliest I've come across.  I was quickly seated with a welcoming smile, and Bubs in Pram became Bubs in Highchair today as staff quickly secured an add-on high chair to our table. 



The menu items were readily suitable for kids.  On top of that they have a couple of items like cheese or beans on toast under the "For the Kids" Section of the menu. 



My usual Mocha was great.  Macaron Monster had a kid sized hot chocolate and loved it.

Mocha

The "Mini Me" Version of the Hot Chocolate
We had the Boiled Eggs, Soldiers, Bacon Bits, Herb Salt to start.  Two beautifully boiled eggs with gorgeous sweet centres ready for dipping with the crusty wholegrain soldiers.  The herb salt is the rock star of this dish! 

Served in a cute ceramic egg carton, with
an old fashioned knife.
Simply lovely!

We followed this up with Warmed Ginger Bread with Smoked Maple Butter.  Lovely combination that went very well with the drinks, and was really quite filling.  I took half of it away for afternoon tea!


Macaron Monster chose a Smiley Face Gingerbread bikkie to go.  Actually I think most of the kids at Pope Joan had one of these this morning!


Our brekkie at Pope Joan made me feel really... happy.  I am actually a bit apprehensive about "Family Friendly" eateries which provide lots of entertainment for kids, but often lack good food, coffee or service.  I find myself much more drawn to "Kid Tolerant" cafes serving yummy food and drinks even if they don't provide crayons or a box of toys - I'm happy to do my part to make sure my kids are behaved and don't bother other patrons.  The staff here are more than helpful and friendly, and I felt they went out of their way to make sure our meal went smoothly.  Pope Joan ticks all the boxes for me and I think it's an excellent example of how a cafe can cater for singles and families alike.


Matt Wilkinson (ex-Circa) and Ben Foster (ex-Kent Hotel) have set up a cozy space that has attracted locals and visitors to this quiet strip on Nicholson St.  Serving up great food and drink with a smile and a wink - I have only one request - can you guys please come and open a sister cafe for Joan in my neighborhood??

Eat.Play.Shop. Recommends - The Friendly Vibe!
Give it a Miss - Don't!

Pope Joan on Urbanspoon


Toilets - Yes
Highchair - Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment