Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cook. @ Home - Yum Cha Style Mango Pudding


Hands up those who always order mango pudding at yum cha.  Apart from the obligatory jelly  pieces, the mango pudding is my kids' favourite.  There are so many different recipes out there to make this dessert, but I'm really glad that I found this recipe on the thermomix forum which doesn't contain any raw egg yolks, so it's suitable for young children, and all those friends who might be in their early pregnancies but can't tell you yet! 


I have reprinted my version of the recipe, but Nean's original version can be found here at the thermomix forum.  This recipe is so easy!  I have included the non-thermomix instructions in brackets.  I tried using small Japanese cups I got from Made in Japan, small ramekins and also the mini tupperware gel cups and made about 12 serves each time.

Yum-Cha Style Mango Pudding

  • Flesh of 3 medium mangoes
  • 2 tablespoons gelatin
  • 125 g water 
  • 425 g boiling water 
  • 280 g sugar 
  • 250 g evaporated milk 
1) Blend the flesh of 2 mangos at speed 8 for 30 seconds (or in food processor)
2) In a bowl, add gelatin to the water and stand for few minutes
3) Add boiling water to the gelatin mixture in the bowl
4) Stir in the sugar until all the gelatin and sugar are dissolved
5) Add this to the mango puree and mix at speed 4 for 5 seconds  (can do this by hand)
6) Add evaporated milk and mix at speed 1 for 5 seconds (again can do this by hand)
7) Chop up the flesh of the last mango into pieces and place a few pieces in each container.
8) Pour mixture on top of the mango pieces in each of the containers and refrigerate overnight.
9) Serve with extra evaporated milk poured on top, just like at Yum Cha!

Tips - 
  • You can adjust the amount of sugar to your taste.   My first batch tasted too sweet but was fine after adding the evaporated milk.
  • I use Carnation Light and Creamy Evaporated Milk in this recipe quite successfully.  It also helps to reduce each serving to about 150 calories!
  • Tinned mangoes can be used when mangoes are not in season, and you have not had the foresight to store any frozen mango cheeks away (I kick myself every winter for this reason!)

13 comments:

  1. I always, always order the mango pudding. Great to see a recipe for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Winnie, this Mango pudding is Michael's favourite thing at Yum Cha. Thanks also for the non-Thermomix instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family and I always seem to choose the egg custard tarts at yum cha, which now seems silly because this looks lovely! Will have to be adventurous next time :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like egg tarts too but have grown to like the Portugese ones more than the yum cha ones lately! There are so many different foods on offer at yum cha it's hard to try them all :) Have fun trying though!

      Delete
  4. Sorry, but this just makes me salivate. Gotta try it soon. (in the Thermomix of course...) Simple + mango = wow. Thanks for posting ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Helene! DO try it out soon while fresh mangos are abundant and cheap :)

      Delete
  5. I ALWAYS ORDER THIS!! And Almond Jelly.. such a sucka.. I'm too lazy to make this, so will continue to order it at yum cha but yayy for a recipe to bookmark :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love ordering Almond Jelly too even though I have a good recipe for it! Nothing wrong with ordering foods you can cook - prime example is the jelly I HAVE to order everytime we yum-cha (pleeeeeease Mummy!!!)

      Delete
  6. Yes, we never get out of Yum Cha without mango pudding. I've never thought of making my own and don't think I've ever seen a recipe so thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks really nice and easy! I have made one with mango ice cream but it's hard to have mango ice cream that hubby doesn't eat! :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. so gonna try and make this! looks so good! (:

    ReplyDelete