Monday, May 30, 2011

Play. @ Healesville Sanctuary

Healesville Sanctuary offers a fantastic opportunity to experience and learn about Australia flora and fauna for both young and old.  We headed there for a fun day out with a bunch of our good mates and our growing bunch of littlies on a recent public holiday. 


When I told my Little Ones that we're going to Healesville Sanctuary and in an effort to entertain them while I packed I asked them to draw me some animals. I was given a lovely list with pictures of elephants, giraffes and crocodiles.  Initially this surprised me, but it also highlighted to me that, as a parent, it is very important to educate our kids about our native animals and wildlife.


It's like taking a lovely long walk through the bush, but on concrete paths, and the wildlife is not so wild.  The Sanctuary looks after a large range of Australian animals, in as natural a habitat as they can achieve. (But obviously the fencing is necessary both for ours and THEIR safety!) 



An interesting shot of the animal hospital.  Is that a handheld vacuum on the operating table?


If the kids still have a lot of energy left over there is a giant bouncy trampoline thing that certainly occupied OUR little ones for quite a while!


The Bird show in the afternoon was a highlight. 


The Wipe for Wildlife campaign mascot/superhero "CrapMan" was on hand to encourage us to use recycled toilet paper.  (My Little One remembered him from the Zoo!)


Eat.Play.Shop. Recommends : this is a fantastic place to see native Australian animals. 
Give it a Miss : well I personally didn't think the Deep Sea area was very impressive.  Probably biased by the fact we used to have membership at the Aquarium though....

No comments:

Post a Comment