Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Eat. @ Shortstop Coffee and Donuts

12 Sutherland St, Melbourne CBD 3000



The latest pit stop for a coffee and sweet is at Shortstop Coffee and Donuts.  There's lots of buzz about this place, and I've heard about long queues and donut shortages in the afternoon.  Luckily for me there was no queue and an abundance of yummy donuts when I dropped by on a Tuesday morning just after 11 a.m.



I'd just had brekkie over at Nora, so this was a donut run as a treat for the kids after school.  I'm the best/worst Mum.



I bought five to share (and also so I can carry them home in a box, less than that number they travel in little paper bags).



So here are my selection.  First off the Red Velvet ($4.5).  This was much like the cake and the kids loved the chocolatey flavour.



Next up Earl Grey and Rose ($4.5).  I quite enjoyed this although I thought the flavours were a little subtle as the donut is quite dense.  



My favourite was the Rhubarb and Ginger Donut ($4.5).  It didn't feel as heavy as the others as it's a raised donut, and the ginger really worked in the glaze.  And such a pretty pink!



The Banana and Chocolate Hazelnut ($4.5) is again a cake donut and the banana/choc hazelnut combo is quite timeless and translates pretty well to the donut form.



And last but not least, the Cinnamon, Cardamon and Sugar ($4) is delicious in its simplicity.



I usually like my donuts somewhat lighter than the ones I've had at Shortstop but they are certainly quite nice donuts and a winner as morning tea for city workers.  I'd definitely come back for the interesting flavours and changing menu.  My instagram followers will notice that I have a thing for taking photos of round foods (food on round plates, cakes, macarons, tarts and of course donuts!) and now I'm addicted to taking pictures of these pretty donuts.



Shortstop Coffee & Donuts on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I recently discovered that shortstop was across the roadf from my work... this is dangerous... they look AMAZING! Bec x

    ReplyDelete